Tuesday, June 28, 2005

i hate conversations where you go "my experience is x," then as soon as you stop and maybe a little bit before they go "my experience is y which is only tangently related but i'll say it anyways because i have nothing to add and only heard words coming out of your mouth and not any actual ideas conveyed and i might as well be listening to a frog croaking because really i just want to talk about myself and avoid conversational dead space because then i have to actually think about what you're saying". happens all the time, especially with super-social people and even more when i was younger.

sometimes it's nice hearing someone just spill about themselves though, it's sorta confessional and voyeuristic to experience it and tells you another aspect of their personality besides the actual content of the conversation. also easy to tune out because they dont expect any real response.

i think it happens alot with good friends because you don't really need that 'connecting with' follow-up questioning portion, you already know you're connected and usually you understand where the other person is coming from. it's like saying 'oh, i understand' is implicitly said because you're already close. you don't have to ask what they mean, or the context, because you already know.

another exception to the rule is when you're drunk. god damn can you go on and on about the stupidest bullshit when you're drunk.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

me me me me me me!

Anonymous said...

you you you you you!

Anonymous said...

i think all this stems from a lack of focus.

Anonymous said...

i concur!

Twentysomething said...

let's not talk about anything,ever, unless it's about cows and volcanos and ferrets.